Monday 16 May 2011

Coeliac Awareness Week–Update

Posted by Unknown at 15:08
I was anticipating the start of Coeliac Awareness Week to report on the great offers designed to raise awareness of the gluten free diet. It has long intrigued me to see how a gluten free diet is seen as a trendy option. Almost as if it is a choice about taste. It is though an expensive choice and one which unfortunately many coeliacs struggle to afford given the inflated prices which I have mentioned before.
image
I popped into my local Sainsbury’s on the back of their inclusion as a commercial partner to the Awareness Week and the promise of a selection of offers from their Free From products to tempt us, but was left disappointed. Looking for offers but found none. Surely their status as a commercial partner is not merely an attempt to ride on the back of a legitimate campaign?
It does highlight the danger that a gluten free diet is becoming more of a marketing tool with a focus on gluten free products that cost extra whilst ignoring gluten free products which are naturally gluten free and do not cost extra. 
I hope to visit Tesco tomorrow to report on their efforts whilst I also hope to visit Asda soon as I have thus far been very impressed by their new range not only based on its quality but also its low prices.
So have you noticed any offers to mark Awareness Week?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome any comments and feedback so please write away!

 

No More Fruit Salad! Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos