Monday 9 May 2011

Pastel Fruit Salad

Posted by Unknown at 02:22
IMG_2648
Pastel Fruit Salad
Pastel Fruit Salad

I was aware when naming this blog that I may have been mistaken for being averse to fruit. This cannot be further from the truth! I love fruit but object to being offered insipid fruit as an alternative to a dessert just because I stay away from gluten. Some of my favourite memories of travelling feature the great taste of local fruit that has not had to travel across the world refrigerated. It can be hard to find sweet tasting fruit. I generally rely on the ‘ripe and ready’ range offered by most supermarkets now but even they are no guarantee.

IMG_2653
Vanilla skin
This recipe also ensures that every part of a vanilla pod is used up since they are expensive pockets of flavour. I use vanilla pods mainly in my cheesecakes and always keep hold of the skins since they retain some of the vanilla seeds and it would be a waste to throw away. I put some with my golden caster sugar in a jar and keep others for recipes such as this.

IMG_2638
Ripe fruits
Ingredients:

1/2 honeydew melon
1/2 cantaloupe melon
2 plums
1 kiwi fruit
1 peach
1 lime
1 vanilla pod skin

IMG_2641
Melons
Wash the plums and peach. Cut all the fruit into bite size pieces.

IMG_2642
Kiwi
Place in a large container. Grate some lime peel over the fruit and squeeze the juice over as well. Mix the fruit together to ensure the lime juice is spread evenly. Place the vanilla pod with the fruit. Put the lid on the container and mix the fruit inside to ensure the vanilla is spread around.

IMG_2645

Leave in the fridge overnight to allow the vanilla flavour and fruit juices to infuse.

IMG_2649

Enjoy the next day on its own without any sugar!

So, what fruit colours do you enjoy best?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome any comments and feedback so please write away!

 

No More Fruit Salad! Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos