Friday 20 May 2011

Gluten Free Sachertorte

Posted by Unknown at 09:46
IMG_2888
Sachertorte
Gluten Free Sachertorte

Sachertorte is a cake which has intrigued me since my early days of baking as a teenager. This was a cake which I had never tried before and introduced to me the concept of adding ground almonds and stiff egg whites to a cake mix. It is also a cake which actually tastes better the next day and which has a rich and strong flavour. I always thought of it as a ‘male’ cake. One of my dreams was to visit the hotel in Austria where the recipe was invented. Some years later my dream was realised when I chanced upon Hotel Sacher whilst walking through the streets of Vienna. I was so delighted to have afternoon tea there although ironically I was disappointed by the sachertorte that was served up to me! I still enjoy this recipe though and think it is well suited to a gluten free diet given the small amounts of flour used. 

IMG_2804

Ingredients:

200g dark chocolate
150g dairy free margarine
80g caster sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
75g ground almonds
40g gluten free self raising flour
Topping
250 ml lactose free cream
250g dark chocolate


Preheat oven to 180C. In a bowl, melt the chocolate in the microwave being careful not to burn. In a large mixing bowl, add the margarine and beat lightly. Add the sugar and mix until light and creamy. Add the cooled chocolate and essence and mix. Separate the eggs adding the yolk to the chocolate mix and beating. Add the almonds and flour and beat to combine. 

IMG_2805

In a large bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry. Fold into the other mix and pour carefully into the prepared tin. Pop into the oven for about 50 minutes. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.
IMG_2813
Cracks are a good thing!

When the cake is cold, prepare the topping by pouring the cream with the chocolate into a large bowl and melting in a microwave.Mix together until smooth and leave to cool for 10 minutes.

IMG_2814
As if by magic...

IMG_2815
...turns into this!

Pour over the cake and leave to set whilst admiring its indulgent glossiness!

IMG_2886
Glossy!
So, have you visited Hotel Sacher?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome any comments and feedback so please write away!

 

No More Fruit Salad! Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos